Guidance automation extensions exception

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:06 AM
Hi,

I just installed GAX(Guidance automation extensions) april 2007 msi. When i tried to open a new SCSF project it throws an exception as shown below.

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateSolution. Error was: Action InstallCommunityControls failed to execute:
Command "Tools.InstallCommunityControls" is not valid..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Command "Tools.InstallCommunityControls" is not valid.
at EnvDTE._DTE.ExecuteCommand(String CommandName, String CommandArgs)
at Intel.TMG.UI.FW.GuidanceAutomation.Actions.InstallCommunityControlsAction.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ExecuteFromTemplate(String recipe, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.ExecuteRecipe(Boolean executeActions)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.RunFinished()

What happens is, VS throws such an exception and then closes the project that i tried creating automatically. The other things is, if i now go and see the location where i tried creatin gthis project all the source files have been created successfully.

I can now open the project from within VS2005 using Open Project and it opened successfully. From now on i do not have any problem with running the project solution, adding view, modules etc.

Seems like the problem is only with the creation of the solution. Can you please help on this. reinstalling GAx which never helped. Then i added the registry entry AutoRun under Current users which too never helped( Saw in one of the posts in MSdn forums)

Please advice.

-Ranjith